Search
  • melissal86

Straight Talk about Managed Services: What every customer should know about remote IT support

Updated: Sep 30, 2020

Benecom Technologies has been around since 1991. Back then, email and the internet were gaining popularity, and computers and peripherals from modems to printers were big, expensive to repair, and were tethered together by thick cable and unwieldy connections. Then, 90% of service issues were hardware related, and only 10% concerned software, which was simple, reliable, and resided on a pc or server, not in a cloud. In order to service these items a large warehouse for parts and equipment inventory is required, along with a well trained staff with diverse skills, and a responsive service desk that could dispatch the help you need on time. These are all elements of Benecom that we retain to this day. But things change….


In the present day, computers and printers are small, reliable, and are reliably bound together by thin and fool proof cables, wi-fi, or cellular connections. Now 10% of service issues are hardware related, with the remaining 90% spent managing, upgrading, and fixing software. This is normally done through installing small software agents on your PC and server equipment that continually poll your hardware subsystems, and allows your remote or Managed Service Provider or MSP to monitor and manage your systems to pro-actively fix problems and fix the ones that arise.


The advantage of monitoring and managing software is that an MSP can do this from anywhere, which also means that any technology firm can offer you managed services, while outsourcing the service to other companies miles or even continents away. So, everybody can do managed services it seems, until you need boots on the ground at your office, who hopefully will show up with the skills you need.


So Why Should You Care?

Because you use managed services, whether you know it or not. All companies use managed or remote IT services, whether it is a family friend accessing your server from ‘PC Anywhere’, or a well-staffed service center with technicians monitoring systems every second. In an increasingly digital world when even being offline for a few hours can cost you dearly, you need the best possible support, and you start with the MSP, but you still need a support company whose technical staff can personally show up for you.


So, before you choose your MSP, do these things:


-Visit the MSP at their office. Often MSP’s are operated in very small offices with skeleton staffs. If you see two guys in T shirts looking at computer screens, run for the hills.


-Interview the staff – ask for the qualifications of the engineers who will be servicing your account as well as those specialists who fix problems that aren’t necessarily software related, like printer and hardware support and cabling. Indeed, if your MSP is not expert on those 10% of issues that are hardware related, then they are not the experts you need.


-Compare prices – Just call them and ask. No need to get a formal proposal or a site survey. In addition, high prices do not necessarily mean good service, indeed, full-service support companies often charge less for better and more comprehensive service, since they can broaden their revenue base by offering you a wider array of products and services.


-Forget Nostalgia A MSP is not your family doctor or your best friend. You will likely see their staff rarely, and consult with them even less, so service, capabilities, and price should be foremost in your mind, and moving to a new provider is as easy as moving to a new movie streaming service at home.


So is Benecom your best choice as an MSP? We think we’ve got the right stuff, and let us prove it to you simply, quickly, and with transparent pricing and service warranties. And you are welcome to visit us anytime!


#MSP #ITSupport #RemoteServices #managedservices



22 views0 comments
  • LinkedIn
  • Facebook

Toll Free

New Orleans 

Baton Rouge